Friday, September 4, 2009

Snail Mail Blessing.....

As a fully ordained Golden Eagle Minister, I have been serving the past 3 years as a volunteer chaplain in a Native American designated Texas men's prison. Twice a month, I drive 2 hours one way to meet friend of mine and we co-facilitate Native American Spiritual Circles and Educational classes. It's a full day that begins before daybreak and comes to conclusion long after the sun has set.....It has brought many challenges, opportunities for growth, rewards and blessings to both us and the almost 100 inmates that are now a part of our program.

Today when I opened my mail- it was a blessing. One of our members that had been transferred out several months ago to start his "out-processing" had written to let me know that after 17 years of being incarcerated, he is out and starting his" New Beginning". A place to live, a part time job, and enrollment in a technical college has already been put into motion.

As spiritual "clan mother" which is sometimes likened to "den mother" to these men, the feeling I have upon their release is much like the same one I am experiencing as my young adult children venture off to "make their way" in the world..... Joy and excitement for the new opportunities that life has to offer them, mixed with apprehension and nagging questions; "Have I given them the tools to succeed on their journey...." "Will they continue hold their spiritual walk as a priority in their earth walk..." "Do they have what it takes to rise above adversity & remain in the Light..."

Of course I know the answers to these questions are the same for both parties; I have fulfilled my direct role to the best of my ability , now I need to move into the role of "support" and let them maneuver their own course. They, like the rest of us, are the creators of their personal "walk" in life, and any choices they make are they're own. I pray that they all be led to what is in their Highest and Best interest. May we all " Walk in Beauty" Blessings~

No comments:

Post a Comment