Friday, September 4, 2009

How the #$(( did I get HERE???

It occurred to me today that those following this blog may find a brief explanation helpful, in understanding what in the world I am doing transplanted in what some refer to as the "buckle" of the bible belt....
Being raised from age 7-17 years by an "unconventional" single -parent father. I was introduced to many places, people, and experiences across the U.S. that many people do not even experience in an entire lifetime. My father was drawn to what many "mainstream" people would refer to as the "fringe" in society. From the leftover beatnik from the 60's that lived on the beach in Santa Barbara, CA, to the young couple from Australia bicycling across the U.S.. All were offered a meal, conversation, and sometimes a place to lay their bedroll for the night. My father had the gift not only to recognize the uniqueness of those following a path of their own creation, but also the appreciation such a venture deserves. He himself had never been a "follower" or a "leader", he was just a "doer". A creator of his own life path and experiences.
We travelled extensively throughout those years- many places, many schools, many different living amenities- Be it tent, trailer, or beautiful home- we "experienced" it all . We "rooted" in New Mexico- I started and finished high school there, so that is where "home" resides in my heart.
At 17 I decided to follow my own path to Texas and nurture a relationship with the wisest, most spiritual woman I have ever known, my Mother. College. Marriage. Children. Divorce. Various Careers, and eventually partnering with my Mother in a spiritually - minded venture geared at supporting people on whatever spiritual path they have chosen to their Higher Power- all followed for these past 26 years.
My Mother told me once that she asked in meditation- "why Texas?" and the answer she received was "Because this is where you are needed..."
My Mother transitioned several years ago, along with most all of my family here. There are days I ponder how much "easier" it would be to express myself in a different geographical area where people are less judgemental and more accepting of each other's choices of personal relationship with the Creator. However,for now, I feel like Mother did. This is where I am needed. I shall continue to nurture and grow my personal relationship with the Creator, and support others in theirs. I honor both my parents in expressing the strength and courage they instilled in me to create my own path, and I honor and appreciate all of you that are creating yours...... Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment