Sunday, October 18, 2009

Native American Prison Circle

The other day I was at the prison. It was a "usual" day for Ceremony- meaning nothing is ever like it is planned- LOL- The "lay-ins did not get issued to our participants-which means they didn't have a pass to attend. It was rumored on the unit that I had been turned away @ the gate after getting up @ 4am , dragging my daughter to her father's house @ 5:15am so he could take her to school and driving another 2 hours to reach the prison. Of course , I wasn't "turned away" and myself and our guest Pipe Carrier for the day were admitted in after the routine search and checking that all items we brought in were on the "pre-approved" list I have to submit a week in advance. About 1/2 of the men in our program were "called out " to attend- and the others- well, as usual, they were just "out of luck".
To most Virgos this lack of routine and following the set "game plan" would drive them nuts~ however, I look at myself not only as a "Recovering Virgo", but as spiritual warrior. There are situations that no matter how much fuss I raised or energy I expended- no one would benefit. Not our program, the men in it, myself or even the prison. So I choose to "pick my battles" and expend energy constructively towards what would benefit the men most. This doesn't mean I did not "call them " on it, or make sure the lay-ins for tomorrow's Education Circle were in place....Of course I did it- in my own firm, respectful , "bridge building" way.
So this was a typical start to a Ceremonial & Healing Circle that is never "typical". There is always some amazing and often times many magical experiences that touch me and those participating.....I would like to share one of those experiences from this day with you:
Before & after the Pipe Ceremony we always ask the men if there is something they would like to share with the Circle; prayers offered or answered, news from home, family, or former members of the program now released, etc.. One man stood up and chose to share the following poem from his heart. I later asked him if he might put it in writing and give me permission to share it with you....
Bound by emotions... lost in this world of hate and poverty... confused in denial... head barely above water... And trying to find the real me......
Shackled by the many addictions that lurk about the earth's surface... seeking a lost soul to torment and destroy...passions and desires crushed by the power of sin since I was a teenage boy......
Growing up into manhood incarcerated ... trapped in the facade of rehabilitation... yet searching for serenity and peace......
Learning to deal with the cards that I was dealt... joined the "Native American" Circle- opened up and my pain is being felt......
Giving me an avenue to face all of my fears and overcome the trials and tribulations of my life... crying out to my "Creator" to remove this anger and strife......
I woke up this morning clothed in my right mind and able to thank the "Creator"- for I truly am...Thanking Him for the Love that He has embedded into my heart... And Thanking Him for the "Native American Program"......
Written by~ Chris Carter
I found myself sway against the Talking Stick as he finished and I opened my eyes.... Speechless I scanned the rest of the men in the Circle, it was obvious that they too- had been moved by this man's expression of emotion.....
So I will be up @ 4am tomorrow- for my "usual" trip to the prison; knowing there will be nothing "usual" about it.

1 comment: